MAINTAINING THE BEAUTY OF YOUR GLITSA-FINISHED FLOOR
Your Newly Finished Floor
A minimum of 24 hours is recommended before returning to the residence. Providing good ventilation will minimize the odor and help the floor finish cure faster. You can generally walk on the floor after 24 hours. However, you should use your floors with care for the first two weeks after application. The more gentle you are on the floor during this time, the more satisfaction you will get from your floors for years to come.
Furniture – Allow two to three days before placing furniture on the floor. Do not drag or slide the furniture into place. Install felt floor protectors on furniture legs before replacing furniture.
Carpets – Allow two to three weeks before putting carpets or rugs on the floor. If covered prematurely, finishes may discolor.
Cleaning – Do not use water or any cleaning substances on the floor for the first two to three weeks.
Preventive maintenance may be the most important factor in determining the longevity of your wood floor finish.
- Place walk off mats in entry ways and near sink areas to minimize the amount of dirt and water that comes in contact with your floor.
- Check your chair legs and other pieces of furniture and attach felt floor protectors to your furniture that will come into contact with your wood floor.
- Keep high-heeled shoes in good repair. Heels that have lost their protective cap can cause little indentations in any floor surface, even concrete!
- Keep pet claws trimmed.
- Do not overwater plants. Soil, fertilizers and plant foods may have chemicals in them that could damage your Glitsa finish.
- Soft rubber (shoe soles, toy wheels, etc.) will leave marks on the floor. Most of these marks can be rubbed out, but should be avoided if possible.
Simple steps can be taken to maintain the beauty and luster of your new Glitsa finished floors.
- Tiptoe Time. The first few weeks after application, use your floors with loving care. Glitsa recommends the following timeline to ensure proper drying and curing:
- Walking on floors — at least 24 hours
- Replacing furniture — 2-3 days
- Rug/Carpet covering — 2 weeks
- Any use of water — at least 2 weeks
- Cleaning — 2-3 weeks
- Note: Additional air circulation from open windows and fans will also help a finished floor cure faster.
- Dust Mop. Use Glitsa’s Maintenance Mop with the untreated Dust Pad (smooth, green pad) on your floor regularly. This will keep the sand and grit off your floor that may cause premature wear. Placing walk-off mats inside and outside of key entry points and near sinks will help prevent the spread of such material. If you use non-slip pads under rugs, make sure they are a breathable mesh-type of natural material.
- Cleaning. Wipe up food and spills immediately using a dampened (not soaking wet) Glitsa Maintenance Mop with Cleaning Pad (textured, blue pad) or paper towel. Excessive use of water can damage wood. Regular cleaning should be done with Glitsa Clean™, our specially formulated hardwood floor cleaner designed specifically for your Glitsa finished floor. Follow directions on the bottle for correct application. Both are available online for purchase or through your professional flooring contractor.
- Feet and Paws. Keep your shoes in good condition…high heels without a protective cap can actually dent the wood! Trim and buff your pet’s claws often. As an extra precautionary measure, you may choose to place booties on their feet to prevent premature scratching and wear.
- Floor Protectors. Be sure your chair legs and other pieces of furniture all
have felt floor protectors on them. Without protection, constant sliding and movement will prematurely wear and scratch your floor.
- No Wax, No Oils. Glitsa finished floors should never be waxed or cleaned with oil-treated solutions. Wax and oils can contaminate your floor, creating adhesion and other problems with future recoats. If wax or other treatments are applied, recoating may not be possible.
- Recoat. Even the most well-maintained floors eventually need recoating. Contact your local professional contractor to discuss recoating your Glitsa finished floor. For minor blemishes in small areas for the Gold Seal Swedish System, use Glitsa Gold Seal Touch-Up Aerosols. Do not attempt a repair of this sort on bare wood. Click here for more information on using Glitsa Gold Seal Aerosols.
- Know Your Floor. Remember what products were used to finish and clean your wood floor. Keep track of the dates (month and year) the floor was installed, finished, refinished and/or repaired. Write down the company name of your floor installer and finisher. If or when you move, leave the above information with the new homeowner(s).